Sunday, July 17, 2005

2005 Drought Over in Central Illinois?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Jim Leach at Abelog poked fun at the drought which has effected most of the U.S. east of the Rockies this summer. I had taken a photo of my neighbor's lawn just before the remnants of Hurricane Dennis slogged its way inland last week. My neighbor just moved to Colorado, so I can criticize him all I want now. Get this, he cuts his lawn way too short!

I keep getting grief from my spouse, who suggest that there is something wrong with me, because I don't want to go out and cut the grass on the weekends, but in actuality I was preparing for the drought! That's right, I had been reading about the drought, and knew if I just laid back a bit, by not mowing as much I could possibly preserve the lawn until August.

Now it looks like with the rain that came in last week from Hurricane Dennis that I may actually have to mow - but not until next weekend. By then the nearly one hundred degree heat, predicted for this week, should have the lawn once again under control.

By this coming weekend I'll be forced to mow it, even if by doing so I'll essentially be sending the grass into dormancy for the rest of the year. Oh the weeds are going to have a field day!

Some folk out there are living in the pretend world that President Bush, and his Oilmen buddies live in. A world in which there are scientist (not on the oil & coal industry payroll) who are still debating the existence of, and effect of, greenhouse gases. This simply isn't the case. The scientific community is in agreement, climate change has already taken place.

The Midwest feeds not only this nation, but hundreds of millions of people around the world. Before we wreck the climate permanently, and some say we've already reached that point, we need to join the Kyoto Agreement, and put the brakes on the ever increasing amount of carbon dioxide being released into the atmosphere.

It's sad to see that the central part of this nation is now dependent upon precipitation from Hurricanes, which has historically been true of other nations with drought like climates.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Of all the years I have lived in the midwest, this is the first time I can recall actually ever getting rain from a hurricane. Good thing we got some.

Signing the Kyoto Treaty is in direct opposition to the interests of the corporations this president represents, unfortunately. I don't know this based on anything the president actually said. No, it's just my belief based on his collective actions over the last five plus years.

P.S. Your wife sounds like a wise woman. You, on the other hand, sound like a candidate for one of those remote control mowers.

email jp

  • jeromeprophet@gmail.com

copyright

archive

visitors

evworld

Slashdot

Wired News: Top Stories