There's no reason to believe the U.S. government wouldn't expose its own people to weakend forms of viri, and bacteria in illegal covert bio weapon's testing. The Main Stream Media in the U.S. would never expose such a program even if it ever came to know of its existence. Therefore there simply is no means by which the people's rights would be protected from this type of governmental abuse.
In a one party state in which there is no protection of the individual from government abuse anyone's worst nightmare becomes just another unpublished leak.
- We're only going to use a weakend viri to test how a specific viri spreads.
- We're only going to use a weak bacteria to test how a specific bacteria spreads.
- We're only using a weak pathogen to test a new method, and/or technology used to spread pathogens.
- We're only using this weakend pathogen, or series of pathogens, to secretly vacinate the public from a real pathogen which the "bad guys" will one day use upon the U.S. population.
- We're developing means of countering chemical/bio-terror through the covert development of a mass antidote innoculation delivery system which could be employed after a biological, or chemical attack.
With immunity from detection, and criminal prosecution those who would carry out such a program could easily advance such a bio weapons testing program for decades without anyone, or any organization opposing them.
I believe it is an absolute certainty that the population of the U.S. has served as test subjects for a long running covert bio weapons testing program.
Not In America!
The U.S. government spies upon its own people in every way imaginable justifing such activity as being conducted for the common good. The Constitution is no longer seen as an inhibiting factor to government activity. The individual no longer matters in concerns of the state. It therefore must be assumed that the U.S. government would carry out other activities it deems as promoting the common good - including testing bio weapons upon its own people.
Such A Program Would Be Exposed!
Those most likely to know of such a program's existence would be most likely to approve of such a program, and therefore least likely to reveal its existence - making such a program much more likely to exist than not.
International Treaties Prevent This!
The U.S. ignores international treaties at will whenever it sees a treaty as an inhibition to national security.
Too crazy to believe?
Persuasive rhetoric: If our enemies would use bio-or-chem warfare against this nation, and they are not inhibited by international conventions then we must be prepared to fight fire with fire! We must do whatever it takes to win the war against terrorism. Sacrafices must be made to secure the safety of the public. What's a little discomfort (mild infections) when it comes to securing that safety?
*Such justifications would have been given by those involved in the program to each other (saving the world for communism, terrorism, etc.), and to a handful of members of Congress over the last fifty years - and maybe even a President or two.