Thursday, August 16, 2007

ASPCA "Angel" Commercial Makes Me Cry


This ASPCA "Angel" Commercial Makes Me Cry

At first I thought it was "just me". I'm a guy for goodness sakes, I shouldn't cry over a commercial no matter how painful the images of neglect, and abuse to pets are presented. I'm supposed to be tough like - well, any of the guys we as a society are sending to Iraq to kill, or be killed. Yet the combination of Sarah McLachlan's "Angel" song, and the images of the little blinded cats and dogs brings out the tears. I guess I'm not the Rambo I thought I was earlier in life - thank God!

And I'm admitting it publicly. Because it's an important issue - not crying men - animal abuse.

By the way my brief research for this post revealed many links to blog post in which people commented on the ASPCA "Angel" commercial. Most of the post which I read were of bloggers sharing how heart broken they were from viewing the advertisement's painful images, while hearing the touching sadness of the Ms. McLachlan's lyrics.

I suspect the commercial is helping to raise badly needed money for this fine organization.


Photo by Wendy Rush (ASPCA) "Jack"

Adopting A Pet Demands Responsibility & Growth

Having a pet is a responsibility similar to having a child. There's a great deal to learn in the process - it's definitely a learning experience, and very rewarding.

One of the most important lessons I've learned since adopting four cats is that it's not about me - it's about the cats. Now that seems like such a shocking thing to say, but it's true, and if I ever wanted to be able to live with my cats I had to accept the fact that the cat's perspective on things had to come first.

I spent almost a year trying to turn my first cat into a dog. I felt that I could train my cat. It was an effort bound in failure, and caused a great deal of tension, and guilt. It was only after learning that I was the one with the problem, that I was the one with the "control issue" that I understood that there had never been a problem with my cat that wasn't caused by me.

Cats are highly independent creatures because they have evolved to survive without help from human beings, and understanding that is the key. Yet cats share themselves in the most honest sense with people - they don't conceal who they are for any reason.


Photo by Krystal Buskirk (ASPCA) "Kryptonite"

I've seen such soul, such child like vulnerability in cats. This honest nature is tempered with a complex cat like independence - almost an old knowing soul that inhabits the cat - that I have felt moments in awe in realizing just how special they are as creatures, and how lucky we are that they share their time and space with us.

I know other people feel the same way about dogs.

So when I see how people abuse cats, dogs, and other pets and animals it makes me tremble in anger. I believe that if God, or an alien race were to come to this planet right now they'd see all the horrible things people do to each other, and to the planet, and they'd know instantly what had to be done - and it would spell the end of our species.



Sarah McLachlan "Angel" Live

Sarah McLachlan's voice is so beautiful, and her "Angel" song is so beautiful. It's such a wonderful thing that she's employed its use in the ASPCA.org commercial.


- Sarah McLachlan -
In The Arms Of An Angel

Spend all your time waiting for that second chance
For the break that will make it o.k.
There's always some reason to feel not good enough
And it's hard at the end of the day.
I need some distraction oh beautiful release
Memories seep from my veins.
They may be empty and weightless and maybe
I'll find some peace tonight.

In the arms of an Angel fly away from here
From this dark, cold hotel room, and the endlessness that you fear
You are pulled from the wreckage of your silent reverie
You're in the arms of an Angel; may you find some comfort here

So tired of the straight line, and everywhere you turn
There's vultures and thieves at your back
The storm keeps on twisting, you keep on building the lies
That you make up for all that you lack
It don't make no difference, escaping one last time
It's easier to believe
In this sweet madness, oh this glorious sadness
That brings me to my knees


Photo by Jenn Woodward (ASPCA) "Nibbles"

In the arms of an Angel far away from here
From this dark, cold hotel room, and the endlessness that you fear
You are pulled from the wreckage of your silent reverie
In the arms of an Angel; may you find some comfort here

You're in the arms of an Angel; may you find some comfort here

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yesterday I was lucky enough to tour the SM studios. In a room designed for "perfect sound", they played the Angel song. Everytime that commercial is on TV, I cry. My two little dogs look at me, not understanding. (they are rescue dogs). It is a beautiful commercial, and a beautiful song. And yes, I cried at XM.

JeromeProphet said...

Thank you for posting a comment. Wow, it sounds like you had quite an experience at that studio.

I love my cats. In each moment I see how special they really are, but especially when they are camping out near me.

It is obvious they see me as a mother, even though I'm a guy. I love it when they get in those quiet states, and allow me to pet them more than usual.

Cats are very selective about this, as they are programmed to be very cautious about their midsection which is not protected by ribs.

So they're saying "I trust you", which is really special.

And then those moments in which they just look at things, and you can see their minds working.

They can be so gentle, so thoughtful, and SPIRITUAL in those moments.

I shudder to think how horribly our society, our entire species, has treated such creatures, and all the other creatures on this planet.

We are in fact the brutes - not them.

So that commercial is really doing God's work, whether we believe in God or not - the commercial is doing good - so it definitely is God's work.

Anonymous said...

I am a animal lover have three in the house. My daughter saw this commercial and has had nightmares for over a week. I really don't know what else to say, it is a beautiful song but to some audiences it can really upset.

JeromeProphet said...

Your daughter sounds like a child with a good heart. Now may be an excellent time to have her find a way to express her concern for animals.

Turning lemons into lemonade - so to speak.

Over five thousand pets are put to death in the U.S. each day, and many more than that are neglected and abused - the message is too important to suppress.

Anonymous said...

Where can I get this exact beautiful song.

Anonymous said...

This commercial always makes me cry. Domesticated animals are so innocent and trusting(unless abused and trained to be mean- still not their fault). There is a link between people who abuse animals and those who later abuse/kill humans. I think that it is the soulful, pain-filled, yet still-trusting eyes that really get to me. I would rather spend time with our many animals (including three rescues and two foundlings) than the majority of "humans".

email jp

  • jeromeprophet@gmail.com

copyright

archive

visitors

evworld

Slashdot

Wired News: Top Stories