Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Comet Holmes Easily Visible To Naked Eye


Comet Holmes Sky Chart 11.06.07 - Midwest - 9:00 P.M. - Looking East

Comet P17/Holmes appears in the constellation Perseus. If you know where to look you'll see it in seconds. There's no Moon out now, so it's definitely time to have a look.

I always refer to Perseus as "The Special K Constellation", as it looks to me like a giant letter "K" in the sky. To those who take the time to learn the constellations the night sky is no longer a spatter of random lights, but instead seems comfortingly familiar.

Each season brings the comings, and goings of these familiar patterns of stars. We learn not only their names, but also the myths which surround them.

Knowing the constellations made it very easy to locate comet Holmes. It took me about one second to locate the comet in Perseus, but I don't expect everyone will have the same experience. I recall decades ago when I viewed my first comet how difficult it was. I can only suggest not to give up, because it's worth the effort.

A link to a photo I took last night of the eastern sky with a pointer pointing to comet Holmes.

For those who don't have binoculars, or a telescope - well, you don't need them. The photo I took does not do justice to Comet Holmes. Comet Holmes appears far bigger, and brighter than the little dot which shows up in my photo. It's very easy to see - even though you won't see a tail.

The comet is coming head first and so we can't really see much in terms of a tail, but don't let that scare you away, or into a fall out shelter.


My Own Backyard Photo Of Comet Holmes

You'll be looking for a fuzzy spot. It's as bright as a star - sort of. I say sort of because to a camera it's not as bright as a star, but to the naked eye which works with the brain to capture and interpret images it appears as bright as a star - just fuzzy.

Thanks to Dave of The11thhour for mentioning comet Holmes last week.

No comments:

email jp

  • jeromeprophet@gmail.com

copyright

archive

visitors

evworld

Slashdot

Wired News: Top Stories