Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Jerome, Illinois' 2006 Tornado - Wabash Avenue I

Image hosting by Photobucket
Photo: Jerome, Illinois Tornado Aftermath - 03/13/2006 Apx. 9:00 A.M.

Business signs along Wabash Avenue in Jerome, Illinois took the brunt of the Tornado that hit the south side of the Springfield, Illinois area the evening of March 12, 2006. The photograph above shows the effect of 120 mile per hour winds upon steel, and plastic. The tornado was quite an abstract artist, and while I'm not certain what it is, I'm fairly sure that I get it - sort of.


Image hosting by Photobucket
Photo: Jerome, Illinois Tornado Aftermath - Capitol Illini Veterinary Hospital

My cats were very upset when they first eye'd the damage to their favorite veterinary hospital. One of the owner's of Capitol Illini Veterinary Hospital assured me, as I was taking photographs of the demaged building, that no pets were in the hospital at the time the tornado struck.


Image hosting by Photobucket
Photo: Jerome, Illinois Tornado Aftermath - Capitol Illini Vet. Hosp. - Wabash

That is blue sky where a roof should be. Actually, I have often wondered what it would be like to be able to roll back a ceiling, and let in some blue sky at many places I've worked at, lived in, or shopped at. Of course I was thinking more in terms of a glass ceiling.


Image hosting by Photobucket
Photo: Jerome, Illinois Tornado Aftermath - Capitol Illini Veterinary - Wabash

I visited Capitol Illini Veterinary Hospital later in the day. When I returned the television (look carefully) had been fished out (get it?) of the rubble. There was also a WICS crew arriving to interview one of the owners. I have photographs of the interview which I'll share in a later post. The owner informed me not to worry, as they would reopen soon. My cats were glad to hear this great news. I'm already overdue on two of my cat's booster shots.


Image hosting by Photobucket
Photo: Jerome, Illinois Tornado Aftermath - Cohen's Furniture on Wabash

Cohen's Furniture lost many of their large plate glass windows to the tornado. A part of me wanted to walk through the broken windows, and sit down within the displays. While doing so may have made possible the opportunity for a surrealistic self portrait I might have been arrested for carrying out such a goofy idea in the name of modern art.


Image hosting by Photobucket
Photo: Jerome, Illinois Tornado Aftermath - Cohen's on Wabash

As the hours, and days progressed large sheets of plywood would be brought in to cover many a destroyed window along the tornado's path. Unlike hurricanes, tornados don't provide much in terms of warning time. Businesses in the path of hurricanes often have days to cover up, or reinforce their windows, while those in the path of a tornado don't have much time for anything other than finding the deepest hole to hide in.


Jerome, Illinois' 2006 Tornado - Wabash Avenue I
Jerome, Illinois' 2006 Tornado - Wabash & Chatham
Jerome, Illinois' 2006 Tornado - W. Jerome Ave
Jerome, Illinois' 2006 Tornado - Corbin & Jerome
Jerome, Illinois' 2006 Tornado - Corbin Street
Jerome, Illinois' 2006 Tornado - Reed Avenue
Jerome, Illinois' 2006 Tornado - Jerome Municipal Building
Jerome, Illinois' 2006 Tornado - Vernon Avenue
Jerome, Illinois' 2006 Tornado - Fillmore Street
Jerome, Illinois' 2006 Tornado - Glenn Avenue
Lauterbach Tire & Auto's Headless Giant

No comments:

email jp

  • jeromeprophet@gmail.com

copyright

archive

visitors

evworld

Slashdot

Wired News: Top Stories